Volunteer to mentor a child in Northwest Indiana!
Volunteers are carefully matched with a child between the ages of 7 and 14 to form a mentoring relationship. Spending time together out in the local community is primarily how matches develop their relationship. After all, to change a child’s perspective of the world, it helps to spend some time out in it! During outings, Bigs and Littles do every day activities that provide children with the opportunity to discover a world of possibilities in their life. Some Bigs meet their Littles on the weekends. Others get together with their Littles in the evenings. Each match is unique and develops a schedule that works for them.
Volunteers must meet the following criteria to be matched with a child in our Community Based program:
- Be at least 21 years old.
- Meet one of the following residency criteria:
1. Be a US citizen and lived in the US at least 12 months prior to applying 2. Be a legal US resident for the past 2 years
3. Have a valid student or workers visa for the past 2 years
- Allow the agency to conduct a thorough criminal background check including live scan fingerprinting.
- Be willing to participate in an enrollment interview with Big Brothers Big Sisters staff.
- Be willing to commit to a minimum of a 1 year relationship, meeting 2-4 times a month.
- Be able to participate in regular phone contacts with a Big Brothers Big Sisters staff person.
- Own a car and have a valid Driver’s License and proof of insurance (Must have 3 years of experience driving with a valid Driver’s License).
- Be willing to drive up to 30 minutes to pick up your Little.
- Be able to demonstrate stable work history. A minimum of 1 month in current place of employment is required.
- Pay a one-time application fee of $35.